Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Achieving Balance

I have written on this topic before.  It is the quest most of us face daily.  It is the lifelong battle to find the right equation which allows you to succeed at work, at home, with your friends, and with your personal passions (and your own ego quite frankly).

Can we win at this game, or just not lose?  This past holiday weekend reminded me that we all need to constantly course correct.  I spent time this weekend at a car show with my grandson, playing hoops with my grandson, working on projects with my grandson, and swimming with my grandson.  Was there anything more important?  Probably not.  Do I want to do that 24/7 – certainly.  Can I do that 24/7?  It would be challenging, but I can re-balance.

How do the most successful people find that balance?  And what is their definition of success?

Webster’s defines success as:  the accomplishment of an aim or purpose or the attainment of popularity or profit or a person or thing that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity.

What if success is not really material?  How about success being family first, then work?  What if Webster’s redirected success to mean: a person having the right priorities, commitment, respect, reasonableness and forgiveness to positively impact themselves and others.

The only person that can answer the question of what success is - is you. I do not think I can, or anyone else for that matter can, create the ultimate definition of success, as this is not possible. Each of us think differently about the meaning of success in life and we each define success in our own way, so there can’t exist a definition that is suitable for all. What is important is that you know exactly how to define success in YOUR life!

Make yourself aware of what accomplishment, success, and prosperity in general means to you in your life.  Some might define success as having luxurious cars and a huge mansion, whereas others consider a life full of joy and happiness with their family as the true meaning of success.  Once you have figured out what is important for you personally - you are able to focus on your visions and goals.

I would challenge that true success is the amount of people that are able to live a better and more advanced life because of what you have done.  Kindness is currency.  This is my meaning of success. Not the trophies people are collecting in their lives.  Media often pushes us to conclude that living a successful life means to be extraordinarily wealthy and have a lot of material “things”.  Society seems to be doing this as well.  My meaning of success is to live a happy life and to make this world a better place for everyone.  And yes, that is not always easy.  And yes, I am not always nice.  And yes, my views on this are changing the older I get.  But this is my goal.  I strive to be kind always (but I am not – just ask my kids).

I read a great quote about success in parenting from Dave Willis, he states that “There are no perfect parents, and there are no perfect children, but there are plenty of perfect moments along the way”.  My take from this quote is for all of us to understand we cannot achieve perfection and success is not 100%, but we have many little successes every day.  If you build success on material things you will always be on the chase for “more”.  If you build it on family, friends and relationships then you can win every day!

Success for me is looking back at my life, when I am in my final moments (as Bill Murray said in Caddyshack, “on my deathbed”), and having a tremendous amount of pride about my family,  my creations, my accomplishments, and my personal legacy (how did I treat others?), while possessing little to no regret about what I did not do or try to do.

How do you define success and are you tracking in that direction?

Together.  We.  Win.

Dave Harmon
People Division
Kindness is Currency
LinkedIn:
linkedin.com/in/davidharmonhr

Look for us on: LinkedInTwitterInstagram,  FacebookThe MuseGlassdoor and Gannett Careers











1 comment: