Monday, January 8, 2018

Making Lemonade For Others (When Life Gives You Lemons)

Today I write with a bit of a heavy heart – yet also with a smile on my face.

I woke up this morning and asked my wife, Nikki, what the family was doing tonight.  She gave me the usual run down of activities for the day, but also said our 20-year-old was celebrating the birthday of a friend with all his friends tonight.  It brought a smile to my face.  That friend, Madison, passed away unexpectedly in 2015.  She was a tremendous young woman with a tremendous “joie pour la vie“.  She was at our house quite a lot, but quite honestly,  just one of many who were always playing/hanging/swimming in the backyard.  Happy Birthday Madison!

In 2015, the day she passed, we were all stunned.  We went to the vigil that night.  It was heartbreaking.  So young.  So healthy.  So impactful.  So sad.

Her Dad and siblings were there.  Honestly, it was hard for me to even look their way.  But who am I, they lost their child, their sister, a piece of their family.  The softball team she loved (#Weplayfor24) was there, teachers, coaches, friends, peers … the community.  What struck me that night, and in a Facebook post two years ago today, and every time I see him  - is how Madison’s dad, Tim, has responded.  I cannot even begin to imagine the grief he must feel every single day.  I just cannot.  Every.  Single.  Day.  What I do see is how he has taken such a terrible tragedy in his life and tried to make it better for others.  There have been charity golf tournaments, softball tournaments, fund raising efforts, dedications, sponsorships, bumper stickers, magnets, scholarships – all in the name of Madison.

Tim lives through kindness.  Amazing he is.  Just a warm soul.  I woke up this morning and read my Facebook feed from 2 years ago today and it spoke to « perspective » and a quote from Tim about taking this day that is/was Madison’s birthday and using it for good.  Paying it forward, spreading a little kindness, helping someone you do not know.

I read that post 7 times.  He lost his baby.  His youngest child at the peak of beginning her life.  A beautiful young woman with a contagious smile.  I run in to Tim at the ball field, or in Target or at the grocery.  Always positive, always asking about my kids, always making me feel good.  Hats off to you Tim – the world needs more of you.  I am not sure how I could deal with what he has.  You inspire me.

Kindness IS currency in this world.  I tried to think of ways we all can honor Madison today and it all comes back to kindness.  Listen with your heart.  Visit a sick  friend.  Clean a neighbor’s driveway of snow.  Offer a hug.  Give an unexpected gift.  Call that classmate.  Open a door.  Pick up litter.  Thank a teacher.  Thank a mentor.  Offer your seat.  Be tolerant.  Let another go first.  Give a compliment.  Donate.  Respect others.  The list is endless.  Just do.

And for Tim and his family – offer a prayer or good thought.  Happy Birthday Madison.

Hug your kids.

Together.  We.  Win.


Dave Harmon
People Division
Kindness is Currency
LinkedIn:
linkedin.com/in/davidharmonhr

Look for us on: LinkedInTwitterInstagram,  FacebookThe MuseGlassdoor and Gannett Careers

 

1 comment:

  1. Dave:

    This brought a heartfelt cry from me. I remember this loss although I did not know the family. Your portrayal of Tim and of YOUR support of his grief and way to deal with it is amazing. It is the reason I adore you and that you are a role model of proving kindness is currency.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete