Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Golden Rule - Through the Eyes of our Dogs


My post today is about a sad event in my life, but I will try to not make it sad.  Our dog Bella died yesterday….

There are 78 million dogs in the United States (and yes, for you cat owners, there are 86 million cats - not sure about parrots, weasels, hamsters or lizards).  Almost half of all US households are dog homes.  The top breeds for dogs are: Labs, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Bulldogs and Beagles.

Our Bella was a Lab/Saint Bernard mix.  Duchess, before her, was a Lab.  Cinnamon was a Lab/Shepherd/Rottweiler mix.   Loved them all.  Like kids, they all had different personalities.  Some listened better than others.  Some ate more.  Some made more messes.  Some were pleasant all the time.  Some were very protective.  All loved us unconditionally.  All day.  Every day. 

Last night was the first time in 22 years I walked into my house with no dog to greet me.  Yesterday, my son Jonny and my wife Nikki walked Bella, for the last time, to our veterinarian’s office.  It was time.  We were selfish.  It may have been a week longer than it should have.  Cancer sucks.  For dogs, for humans.  For all.  Bella went to sleep yesterday.  I cried.   Jonny had cleared out everything reminding him of Bella by the time I arrived home last night.  I was sad again. I cried.

So here is where we turn the corner.  What did we learn from Bella (and Duchess and Cinnamon)?  Life is precious.  Life is short.  Life goes on.  Kindness matters.

Why do we love our dogs?  It appears that our dogs have evolved specialized skills for understanding our social behavior.  Lizards and weasels don't show recognizable human emotions, nor do they trigger our “she's my girl" impulses.  Thus, the weasels and lizards don't (usually) move into our homes, get their photos taken with Santa, and often don’t even get names.  If our dog's love is just an evolutionary trick, does that diminish it? I don't think so. Dogs have figured out how to insinuate themselves into our lives in ways that benefit us both. We get affection and attention. They get the same, plus food, shelter, and protection. To grasp this exchange doesn't trivialize our love, it explains it.  A bit of the Golden Rule if you look at it through a dog’s eyes. 

We also love our dogs because they think we are the greatest chefs, the best athletes, their best friend, and for many of us they are great listeners.  Who doesn’t talk to their dog?  Do they ever answer us…..not really.  They are just happy to be. 

We should be “happy to be”- At work, at home, in life – we often overthink everything.  Why?  Dogs have figured this out.  In time this too shall pass.  People with dogs live longer, live happier, live more actively.  People with dogs are rewarded everyday with love … unending, beautiful love. 

I always try to find the lesson in the events life throws our way.  Three wonderful dogs, three wonderful lives, three sad deaths.  Would I change anything, sure I would.  Spend more time with them, go on more walks, teach them more tricks.  Maybe even give them more treats.  Would I really change anything….nope.  They are family, they are part of our habits and rituals.  They figure us out.  They train us. 

So, what are the lessons I learned?

Dogs truly only care about us – that one-to-one relationship.  All heart, no ego.  They are great partners when we are sad.  They listen..they are ok with our sadness.  Dogs are vulnerable – their vulnerability brings on more love.  Dogs give it all – they unconditionally love you and do not “wait” to see if you will love them back.  They are all in.  Dogs live in the moment.  See my tail – chase it.  See a bird – chase it.  See a bone – grab it.  Chew that couch…..   Time is now for dogs.  Dogs are not material.  They do not care if another dog has a bigger bed, thicker blankets, a better SUV to ride in.  They only care about time with you.  Love is all that matters.  And dogs mourn loss, but not a lost future.  They do not get stuck in grief.  They move on.  I must too. 

Thank you Cinnamon, Duchess and Bella for being my three greatest four-legged mentors.  I cherish the memories, the lessons and the laughs.  You taught me how to be in the moment, rolling in the grass, digging in the dirt, enjoying a snowfall, not worrying about time, what it means to be alive - without judgement, just thankfulness and happiness. Every day was a gift with my three dogs.  I did not realize then, but I do now.  I will see you again someday when I cross over that Rainbow Bridge.  Just come up and jump on me like you all did.  Miss ya girls.


Dave Harmon
People Division
Kindness is Currency

Follow Dave and other USA TODAY NETWORK highlights at: Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram,  Facebook, The Muse and Gannett Careers

No comments:

Post a Comment